Plans, designs and develops clothing, accessories, footwear or other items of personal apparel considering the form and construction of clothing, historical styles and contexts, contemporary and cultural trends, colour, fabric, and decoration, and the techniques and processes available for manufacture.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- determining the objectives and constraints of the design brief by consulting with clients and stakeholders
- undertaking product research and analysing functional, commercial, cultural and aesthetic requirements
- formulating design concepts for clothing, textiles, industrial, commercial and consumer products, and jewellery
- preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations, plans, samples and models to communicate design concepts
- negotiating design solutions with clients, management, and sales and manufacturing staff
- selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, production methods and finishes for manufacture
- detailing and documenting the selected design for production
- preparing and commissioning prototypes and samples
- supervising the preparation of patterns, programs and tooling, and the manufacture process
- Costume Designer
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.
6 courses found.
MST60219: Advanced Diploma of Textile Design and Development
MST60216: Advanced Diploma of Textile Design and Development
MST60119: Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising
MST60116: Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising
52762WA: Diploma of Fashion Products and Markets
22477VIC: Advanced Diploma of Building Design (Architectural)