Diagnoses, treats and prevents animal diseases, ailments and injuries. Registration or licensing is required.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- treating animals medically and surgically, and administering and prescribing drugs, analgesics, and general and local anaesthetics
- determining the presence and nature of abnormal conditions by physical examination, laboratory testing and through diagnostic imaging techniques including radiography and ultrasound
- performing surgery, dressing wounds and setting broken bones
- rendering obstetric services to animals
- participating in programs designed to prevent the occurrence and spread of animal diseases
- inoculating animals against, and testing for, infectious diseases and notifying authorities of outbreaks of infectious animal diseases
- performing autopsies to determine cause of death
- advising clients on health, nutrition and feeding, hygiene, breeding and care of animals
- may provide professional services to commercial firms producing biological and pharmaceutical products
- may specialise in the treatment of a particular animal group or in a particular specialty area such as cardiology, chiropractic, dermatology or critical care
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Veterinary Parasitologist
- Veterinary Pathologist
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.
7 courses found.
22518VIC: Graduate Diploma of Animal Biomechanical Medicine
22442VIC: Certificate IV in Science
22441VIC: Certificate III in Science
22245VIC: Graduate Diploma of Animal Biomechanical Medicine
10684NAT: Graduate Diploma of Veterinary Western Herbal Medicine
10640NAT: Graduate Diploma of Veterinary Acupuncture
10639NAT: Graduate Diploma of Veterinary Chinese Herbal Medicine