Prepares and maintains an operating theatre and its equipment, assists the surgical team during operations and provides support to patients in the recovery room.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below. AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- taking, collecting and labelling blood, urine and other samples from patients
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections for blood and histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications
- Anaesthetic Technician
- Cardiac Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Technicians Nec
- Pathology Collector
- Pharmacy Technician
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.
5 courses found.