Extracts, collects, labels and preserves blood and other specimens from patients for laboratory analysis.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below. AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- taking, collecting and labelling blood, urine and other samples from patients
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections for blood and histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications
- Specimen Collector
- Blood Collector
- Anaesthetic Technician
- Cardiac Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Technicians Nec
- Operating Theatre Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.
5 courses found.