Conducts medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- advising Medical Practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- setting up the steps and rules of laboratory medical testing
- operating and maintaining laboratory equipment
- maintaining laboratory quality assurance and safety standards
- preparing scientific papers and reports
- Hospital Scientist
- Medical Scientific Officer
- IVF Embryologist
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.