Performs a range of production process tasks to refine and treat metals and mineral ore, fire ceramics, and operate plant to produce and finish metal products such as rods, tubing and structural shapes, and moulds for casting. Registration or licensing is required.
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below. AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
- interpreting engineering production drawings
- setting up, operating and adjusting production plant to shape metal stock and castings and cut sheet metal
- operating welding and electroplating plant
- operating furnaces and quenching plant to smelt and change the structure of metals
- using kilns and ovens to fire ceramics
- processing mineral ore and operating metal rolling plant
- casting molten metal and operating plant to draw metal wire through dies
- operating computer-controlled production plant
- Alumina Refinery Operator
- Arc Welder
- Brake Press Operator
- Computer Numeric Control Machine Operator
- Foundry Operator
- Furnace Operator (Metals)
- Kiln Operator (Metals)
- Metal Rolling Mill Operator
- Sheetmetal Worker (Second Class)
- Tool Setter
Source: 1220.0 - ANZSCO - Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, First Edition.
Note: The tasks associated with the occupation are to be used as guidance only. The tasks listing may include tasks associated with the grouping/category to which the occupation belongs.